Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Podcast!

I missed class today because I was offered a delicious free breakfast, and I haven't eaten a delicious free breakfast in a long time. I am aware that this is disrespectful to those who went today, and I apologize for that, but seriously, delicious free breakfast. Say it again, Delicious Free Breakfast.

I like a delicious free breakfast. Although, I am aware of how not free any meal is. I mean, we must always remember, "There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch". But this was breakfast, and a delicious and free one it was.

Now I shall move on to something relevant.

I want to talk about a mostly free phenomenon in the world of secondary orality, the podcast.

Now, I can hear every tech literate person sigh. We all know what a podcast does and what it is. Instead I just want to talk about how great an experience hearing a good podcast can be. A good podcast usually consists of some well spoken folk, who are passionate about whatever topic, just riffing on their subject for a bit. Sometimes they cuss and sometimes they have standards. But most of all, my favorite podcasts are very rarely scripted. It consists of three of four people in a room with a microphone. They have all the ums and uhs of real speech and their cpnversations always diverge into pointless tangents. They make inside jokes that make no sense and make fun of each other. They talk about smoking, sex, and video games while educating me in the most welcoming way possible. Unpretentious, funny, offensive. Oral.

A good way to grab podcasts is to just pay attention. Go to your favorite sites and look around. See that little link in the corner? That one that has been there ever since you wandered into this site (probably with the words, "check out our podcast!"). Click it, download it and enjoy. Also, if you use itunes or Zune software, these programs have a collected compendium of podcasts for a plethora of interests.

Here are some links for you lazy types:

http://www.podcastalley.com/
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php
http://sic.conversationsnetwork.org/?gclid=COWZp4S9lpoCFShRagod_gRBNQ
http://www.apple.com/business/podcasting/?cid=WWA-SEGO-BIZ080324G-I620I&cp=WWA-SEGO-BIZ080306G&sr=WWA-SEGO-BIZ080306G

Also, Google reader is a fantastic way to subscribe to RSS feeds which usually include up to date links to various podcasts.

Grab one. They're freeish. TISTAAFPC.

No comments:

Post a Comment